I brought this Cake Salé (savory cake) for a friends gathering, so I couldn't get good snap shots. But I hope these photos can convey how delicious it was!
It’s a healthy savory cake using olive oil. If you prefer, you may use gluten-free flour instead of regular cake flour. I just used vegetables and chick peas but you can add anything you want, if it’s eatable and suitable for savory cakes.
Here is a recipe:
For 1 loaf mold of 21x11x6cm
Olive oil …….. 80g
Soy milk (unsweetened) …….. 150g
Eggs …….. 3
Honey …….. 1 Tablespoon
Pastry flour …….. 195g (shifted with baking powder)
Baking powder …….. 8g
Black pepper …….. as you like
Salt …….. 1/2 Teaspoon or taste the batter when it’s mixed & if you need more, add more for taste
Parmesan cheese (grated) …….. 90g
Miso (Japanese Soy bean paste) …….. 1 Teaspoon
Curry powder …….. 1/2 Teaspoon
Onion (small) …….. 1/2 (chopped finely)
Mushrooms …….. about 5 pieces, chopped in small dice
Dried tomatoes (in oil) …….. 5 small pieces remove oil and cut up in pieces
Fresh red chili (optional, NOT a spicy one) …….. 1, remove the seeds and thinly sliced
Chick peas (canned) …….. 1/2 cups (American size cup=250ml, so 125ml in measurement)
Fresh Parsley & Thyme …….. 1 branch each, finely minced
*** How to make:
1. In skillet, heat about 1/2 tablespoonful of olive oil and sauté all the prepared vegs except chick peas. Add a dash of pepper and a pinch of salt. Set aside and let it cool.
*** Preheat oven at 180C.
2. In a bowl, mix olive oil and soy milk. Then add eggs one at a time.
3. Mix Miso with honey and add into the bowl above. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
4. Incorporate flour with BP and all the spices.
5. Toss sautéed vegs, cheese, minced herbs and chick peas in batter and mix well.
6. Pour this batter into a prepared mold and bake at 180C in pre-heated oven for about 45 minutes or until done.
When it’s done, let it cool in the pan slightly and serve either warm or cool.
Cake Salé is great for branch, lunch or even dinner as an appetizer. It’s delightfully yummy! Enjoy!